Sox Baseball Preseason Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sox Baseball Preseason Information

Let’s speculate about the taxi squad. Supposedly they can keep 20 players who are not on the 40-man roster. I don’t think there are service time considerations, so the Sox can carry a few high-ceiling prospects just for development.

Players who are probably locks, unless promoted (5): Madrigal, Vaughn, Stiever, Heuer, Johnson.

Likely (7): Delmonico, Palka, Gonzalez, Cuthbert, Romine, Rivera, Sheets.

Longshot (1): Crochet.

Remainder (7): Who knows? I expect mostly pitching. There are reliever candidates like Frare, Burr (if healthy), Medeiros, Thompson, and Dopico. There are starters like Henzman, Pilkington and Parke. Did any of the spring NRIs like Mejia earn a shot, or will they get to try again in Spring Training 2?

There are few infield candidates. Maybe one of the AA catchers (Fernandez or Perez) will make it. Would they burn a spot on Burger, just to get him reps?

Bubble players who are already on the 40, not destined for the taxi squad unless moves are made: Collins, Mercedes, Zavala, Rutherford, Adolfo, Fulmer, Ruiz, Foster, Burdi, Hamilton.

Originally posted by A. Cavatica View Post
    Let’s speculate about the taxi squad. Supposedly they can keep 20 players who are not on the 40-man roster. I don’t think there are service time considerations, so the Sox can carry a few high-ceiling prospects just for development.

Players who are probably locks, unless promoted (5): Madrigal, Vaughn, Stiever, Heuer, Johnson.

Likely (7): Delmonico, Palka, Gonzalez, Cuthbert, Romine, Rivera, Sheets.

Longshot (1): Crochet.

Remainder (7): Who knows? I expect mostly pitching. There are reliever candidates like Frare, Burr (if healthy), Medeiros, Thompson, and Dopico. There are starters like Henzman, Pilkington and Parke. Did any of the spring NRIs like Mejia earn a shot, or will they get to try again in Spring Training 2?

There are few infield candidates. Maybe one of the AA catchers (Fernandez or Perez) will make it. Would they burn a spot on Burger, just to get him reps?

Bubble players who are already on the 40, not destined for the taxi squad unless moves are made: Collins, Mercedes, Zavala, Rutherford, Adolfo, Fulmer, Ruiz, Foster, Burdi, Hamilton.
    I think Crochet is a guarantee, if they don't have him in the pen on day one.

Comment

Originally posted by vegandork View Post

I think Crochet is a guarantee, if they don't have him in the pen on day one.
      You could be right about the taxi squad, but starting him in the major league pen would be a great way to ruin him.

Comment

You could be right about the taxi squad, but starting him in the major league pen would be a great way to ruin him.
        I don't disagree, but there's a lot of people that think he could contribute day one. If he isn't there, he will be on the taxi squad. They're going to want to work with him right away. Even if he doesn't pitch this year, if he's on the Sale plan they'd give him a look for next year's opening pen.

Comment

Guerrero will 100% have a role. Whether it be on the expanded roster or taxi sqaud.

Comment

Originally posted by Krs1 View Post
            Guerrero will 100% have a role. Whether it be on the expanded roster or taxi sqaud.
            Ugh, I hope not. 29 years old and can’t throw a strike to save his life. I’d rather see his spot go to Hansen.

Comment

Ugh, I hope not. 29 years old and can’t throw a strike to save his life. I’d rather see his spot go to Hansen.
              He threw strikes all ST. He looked damned good the three times I saw him live. Not a lot of wood touched the pitches I saw him throw from behind the plate and he was pounding the glove.

He is certainly ahead of half the guys you listed.

Comment

Let’s see how he looks after another 6 innings. He’s another Thyago Vieira, but older.

Comment

Let’s see how he looks after another 6 innings. He’s another Thyago Vieira, but older.
                  I was shocked to learn the changeup he was killing guys with this spring was a new pitch from Coop. It was nasty. He was stacking that with 99 and guys couldn't touch him. Seriously, there's not a RP candidate you named that looked better than him other than Burdi. I love Heuer, but he got wild and rocked in front of me one outing and clearly lost his nerve. Hamilton was hitting his spots very well.

Guys mature differently and the history of bullpens is riddled with guys who had things click late. I'm not arguing that he's a stud, sure thing guy, but I saw all the healthy guys you listed this spring and he stood out from that group - and not just because he's ginormous. But hey, I'll take your paper assessment of him over my own two eyes.

Comment

If Coop can turn Guerrero into a major league pitcher, that'll be his best work by far.

Comment

Here's a full list of all the rules governing this season:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...dce-story.html
                      Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Mother of God is it great to read a thread like this about...baseball.
                        Last edited by Nellie Fox; 06-26-2020, 01:17 AM.

Comment

I'll say it first, looks like the Cubs will represent 7% of our schedule this year. Rivalry will be a big part of this pitch to get the sport back strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Krs1 View Post

He threw strikes all ST. He looked damned good the three times I saw him live.
                            Sure, but what about those other 400+ innings in his career where he walked six batters per nine with a WHIP over 1.5? He basically pitched against AA guys in ST, nothing to get excited about.

Comment

Given the new extra inning rule (runner on second) and the 30 man roster to start the season, would it make sense for the Sox to carry a speed burner for extra inning games?

2020 Sox Attendance Tracker: 0-0
                              All-time Sox Attendance Tracker: 286-247
                              Posts on old WSI: 7344

Comment

Working...
                              X