RIP Dick Allen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KenBerryGrab View Post
    Was anyone else at this game? Dick broke up Ryan's no-hit bid in the ninth with an infield single, and the Sox went on to win:
    https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/augu...-to-white-sox/
    I wasn't at the game but I have the bottom of the 9th inning in my library courtesy of the WSNS telecast. Harry was extremely complimentary of Dick in the postgame because his hustle down the line started Ryan's collapse and led to a Sox win. Harry basically said, 'If the highest paid player in the game can hustle like that why can't everyone including some guys on this (Sox) team.'

Years later I met up with one of Roland Hemond's sons who lives in Sacramento, he was sitting in the first row behind home plate for the game, I sent him a copy of the broadcast.

Comment

Originally posted by kba View Post

Here’s the 9th inning of that telecast, including Allen's infield single:

https://youtu.be/tGxBESt7h5k
      You can thank me for passing that along to those folks! 😀

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post

You can thank me for passing that along to those folks! 😀
        Thank you! That's one of the few game tapes I've seen from the red-uniform era. One my favorite parts is when Harry says there's a "big argument" after the Allen single - even though nobody is arguing. Harry might have forgotten he wasn't on radio…

Comment

Originally posted by kba View Post

Here’s the 9th inning of that telecast, including Allen's infield single:

https://youtu.be/tGxBESt7h5k
          What's wrong with those Sox players? No balls elevated with launch angle, trying to string hits together against a premier power pitcher, even a bunt single attempt with two outs! Should have gone down as a loss.

Comment

Originally posted by FielderJones View Post

What's wrong with those Sox players? No balls elevated with launch angle, trying to string hits together against a premier power pitcher, even a bunt single attempt with two outs! Should have gone down as a loss.
            Those level swings! Unheard of! No Sox broadcast on Channel 44 was complete without the promo for Bob Luce wrestling around 6:00.
            Best reason Rick Hahn should be out of work? Statistics.

Comment

Dr. Fletcher from the Chicago Baseball Museum sent me a PDF copy of the program from Dick's funeral. Among his pallbearers was "Goose" Gossage and Mike Tollin (The Last Dance) who is producing a documentary on Dick's life. They are hoping to release it next year.

I sent Mike audio and video out of my library of Dick's days with the Sox including the "Chili Dog" home run, his two inside the park home runs in the same game, his "bleacher shot" home run and his breaking up Nolan Ryan's no-hit bid. I'm guessing that at least some of that will make the documentary.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipman 1 View Post
                Dr. Fletcher from the Chicago Baseball Museum sent me a PDF copy of the program from Dick's funeral. Among his pallbearers was "Goose" Gossage and Mike Tollin (The Last Dance) who is producing a documentary on Dick's life. They are hoping to release it next year.

I sent Mike audio and video out of my library of Dick's days with the Sox including the "Chili Dog" home run, his two inside the park home runs in the same game, his "bleacher shot" home run and his breaking up Nolan Ryan's no-hit bid. I'm guessing that at least some of that will make the documentary.
                Lip, do you happen to know if any footage exists from the Old Timers Game played the day before the 1990 All Star Game at Wrigley?

Dick Allen hit a mammoth home run almost to the base of the CF scoreboard that day; the crowd was aghast.

Comment

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post

Lip, do you happen to know if any footage exists from the Old Timers Game played the day before the 1990 All Star Game at Wrigley?

Dick Allen hit a mammoth home run almost to the base of the CF scoreboard that day; the crowd was aghast.
                  I have heard about that. I think he hit it off Ferguson Jenkins...as fas as footage, I don't know of any.

Comment

Working...
                  X