X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HomeFish
    Major Leagues
    • Apr 2020

Nomar Mazara appreciation thread

Hope the Sox learned something from this cheapo move last offseason.
    "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
    -- Thucydides
  • Soxsince70
    A-Ball
    • May 2020

Hope the thing they learned was that if there are FA's available with names like George Springer or Michael Brantley, taking a flyer on one of them wouldn't be such a bad idea.
    Also, if plans A (Springer) and B (Brantley) go south, acquiring Joc Pederson from the Dodgers wouldn't be a bad idea either. Just saying.

Comment

• Mohoney
      Major Leagues
      • Apr 2020

As a lefty bat off the bench, he may be worthwhile at $1-2 million per year, but that's about it. He certainly does not deserve the full arbitration salary he was slated to receive.

I just hope this doesn't mean we see a whole lotta Leury and his wet spaghetti bat in the outfield corners. In Tony I Trust...

Comment

• Hitmen77
        Major Leagues
        • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Mohoney
        As a lefty bat off the bench, he may be worthwhile at $1-2 million per year, but that's about it. He certainly does not deserve the full arbitration salary he was slated to receive.

I just hope this doesn't mean we see a whole lotta Leury and his wet spaghetti bat in the outfield corners. In Tony I Trust...
        I'll be extremely surprised and disappointed if the Sox plan to go with Leury Garcia as our main starting RF next year. That would be a sign that they're not serious about being a pennant contending team at all. My pipe dream is for them to get Springer, but I doubt that'll happen. In which case, I hope the plan is to sign some other legitimate starting OF to play right like Joc Pederson.
        White Sox Division Titles: 1983, 1993, 2000, 2005, 2008, 2021

Comment

• voodoochile
          Admin
          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Hitmen77

I'll be extremely surprised and disappointed if the Sox plan to go with Leury Garcia as our main starting RF next year. That would be a sign that they're not serious about being a pennant contending team at all. My pipe dream is for them to get Springer, but I doubt that'll happen. In which case, I hope the plan is to sign some other legitimate starting OF to play right like Joc Pederson.
          If they can somehow land Bauer and Springer this team will be a pennant+ contender for the next 5+ years.
          Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

• Mohoney
            Major Leagues
            • Apr 2020

I don’t want him as the main OF, sub OF, or any other form of OF, unless it’s to replace Eloy after Eloy already gets his last plate appearance in a game.

Any plate appearances that Leury gets as a corner OF are a waste. His bat is barely good enough to be a backup middle IF, and even that is debatable.
            Last edited by Mohoney; 12-03-2020, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• berwyn
              Major Leagues
              • Apr 2020

Joc? Name over game for some of us. 😵
              Strap it on, cinch it up, hunker down and bow your neck.

Comment

• ChiTownTrojan
                Major Leagues
                • Apr 2020

I don’t want him as the main OF, sub OF, or any other form of OF, unless it’s to replace Eloy after Eloy already gets his last plate appearance in a game.

Any plate appearances that Leury gets as a corner OF are a waste. His bat is barely good enough to be a backup middle IF, and even that is debatable.
                Players get hurt and need days off from time to time. Leury’s role is to be able to cover almost every position on the field that we have depth issues. He’s very valuable in that role. If TA has to go on the IL for a little while, Leury is probably the best option to come in and play a passable SS, which he has done before.

There’s no chance the Sox will go into the season with Leury as the projected starter anywhere, but there is a very good chance that he is starting at some point over the season for a 2-week stretch.

Comment

• Mohoney
                  Major Leagues
                  • Apr 2020

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan

Players get hurt and need days off from time to time. Leury’s role is to be able to cover almost every position on the field that we have depth issues. He’s very valuable in that role. If TA has to go on the IL for a little while, Leury is probably the best option to come in and play a passable SS, which he has done before.

There’s no chance the Sox will go into the season with Leury as the projected starter anywhere, but there is a very good chance that he is starting at some point over the season for a 2-week stretch.
                  Right, and those 2-week stretches of sub-.700 OPS will be brutal, no matter where they occur on the diamond.

I wish he were gone. If belt tightening is the 2021 MLB mantra, that $3.5 million salary is a waste.

Comment

• Hitmen77
                    Major Leagues
                    • Apr 2020

Originally posted by voodoochile

If they can somehow land Bauer and Springer this team will be a pennant+ contender for the next 5+ years.
                    I'd be thrilled if they land one of those guys. Both? Not going to happen.

If I had to bet on it, I'd say the Sox land neither of those guys, but I don't think it's out of the question that they sign one of them. My guess is that our RF next year will be Pederson (platooning with Engel).
                    White Sox Division Titles: 1983, 1993, 2000, 2005, 2008, 2021

Comment

• Mohoney
                      Major Leagues
                      • Apr 2020

I'd be thrilled if they land one of those guys. Both? Not going to happen.

If I had to bet on it, I'd say the Sox land neither of those guys, but I don't think it's out of the question that they sign one of them. My guess is that our RF next year will be Pederson (platooning with Engel).
                      Yeah, I'm thinking it's either Joc Pederson or Eddie Rosario.

Comment

• ChiTownTrojan
                        Major Leagues
                        • Apr 2020

Right, and those 2-week stretches of sub-.700 OPS will be brutal, no matter where they occur on the diamond.

I wish he were gone. If belt tightening is the 2021 MLB mantra, that $3.5 million salary is a waste.
                        "Brutal" is a stretch; he's been fine in 2-week stretches in the past. There's an expectation of a dropoff from the starter to the backup.

That fact that he can provide a .700ish OPS at multiple spots (better than that if you limit him to LHP) means that you won't get stuck playing a .500 OPS guy or some butcher in the field for those 2-week stretches if the wrong guy gets injured. And you avoid someone like Luis Gonzalez being forced into action when he clearly wasn't ready because there were no other alternatives in his spot, which is what happened last year when Leury was out. His defense is above average at most of those spots, and he has always been a plus baserunner.

The biggest negative for Leury IMO is that he has a tendency to get hurt himself, and you would prefer your backups to be more reliable.

Comment

• Mohoney
                          Major Leagues
                          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan

"Brutal" is a stretch; he's been fine in 2-week stretches in the past. There's an expectation of a dropoff from the starter to the backup.

That fact that he can provide a .700ish OPS at multiple spots (better than that if you limit him to LHP) means that you won't get stuck playing a .500 OPS guy or some butcher in the field for those 2-week stretches if the wrong guy gets injured. And you avoid someone like Luis Gonzalez being forced into action when he clearly wasn't ready because there were no other alternatives in his spot, which is what happened last year when Leury was out. His defense is above average at most of those spots, and he has always been a plus baserunner.

The biggest negative for Leury IMO is that he has a tendency to get hurt himself, and you would prefer your backups to be more reliable.
                          Yuck.

Leury Garcia is trash. Reynaldo Lopez is trash. When your competitive window opens, you should be rostering better players than them.

Comment

• berwyn
                            Major Leagues
                            • Apr 2020

Wish they'd kept you, hope I'm wrong, but we South Side Fans have memories that put an elephant to shame, so I'll check in on this again in September.
                            Strap it on, cinch it up, hunker down and bow your neck.

Comment

Working...