This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 ideas to improve Sox II

Piece on MLBTR looking back at the Grandal signing. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...l-signing.html

Biggest takeaway: even if McCann leaves we're going to have one of the best backstop situations in the league.

I think Rick is keeping an eye on the non tender market. Free Agency feels like it is going to crawl this year.

Comment

I think the Sox should try and sign a stud starting pitcher to team with Gio and Keuchel rather than deal for one. Sox aren't overflowing with prospects enough to where they can deal them. Outside of Bauer (who may be too pricy), there is no one else I am really excited about. I think they are going to sign a couple midlevel starters or take a flyer on guys needing to have bounce back seasons - (Orodizzi and Paxton). Paxton has never been really durable, so rotation depth is necessary. Gio, Keuchel, Orodizzi, Paxton, Kopech, Cease, and Lopez is an interesting mix. Not sure that is enough.

Saw a story recommending the Sox go after Nelson Cruz for DH. That would severely hurt the Twins. If the Sox did that, then RF would have to be a cheaper investment than Springer, Pederson, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by VegasSoxFan View Post
        I think the Sox should try and sign a stud starting pitcher to team with Gio and Keuchel rather than deal for one. Sox aren't overflowing with prospects enough to where they can deal them. Outside of Bauer (who may be too pricy), there is no one else I am really excited about. I think they are going to sign a couple midlevel starters or take a flyer on guys needing to have bounce back seasons - (Orodizzi and Paxton). Paxton has never been really durable, so rotation depth is necessary. Gio, Keuchel, Orodizzi, Paxton, Kopech, Cease, and Lopez is an interesting mix. Not sure that is enough.

Saw a story recommending the Sox go after Nelson Cruz for DH. That would severely hurt the Twins. If the Sox did that, then RF would have to be a cheaper investment than Springer, Pederson, etc.
        If the Sox sign Cruz, odds are the Twins use that money on Ozuna. I'd rather they paid for two years at a premium cost for Cruz, who is more likely to start feeling the effects of age over that deal.

Comment

MLB Network had some fun talks on what it would cost the White Sox for Snell. They kicked around Cease and Collins and another prospect for Snell and Keirmeyer. That seemed super light to me, and a no brainer if that was there. Keirmeyer and Robert in the OF would be the best 1-2 combo defensively in the game in the OF.

Also, just for fun I was thinking, what do you think the Cubs say if you offered them Rodon and Lopez or one of them and like Rutherford for Bryant? He can handle RF fine, I know he is RH, but seems like a great buy low candidate for the year. My guess is someone pays a little more for a year of him, but its such a weird market they may not.

Comment

Originally posted by Domeshot17 View Post
            MLB Network had some fun talks on what it would cost the White Sox for Snell. They kicked around Cease and Collins and another prospect for Snell and Keirmeyer. That seemed super light to me, and a no brainer if that was there. Keirmeyer and Robert in the OF would be the best 1-2 combo defensively in the game in the OF.

Also, just for fun I was thinking, what do you think the Cubs say if you offered them Rodon and Lopez or one of them and like Rutherford for Bryant? He can handle RF fine, I know he is RH, but seems like a great buy low candidate for the year. My guess is someone pays a little more for a year of him, but its such a weird market they may not.
            I would think that any Blake Snell package from the White Sox would need to include Andrew Vaughn, which I do not want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by vegandork View Post

If the Sox sign Cruz, odds are the Twins use that money on Ozuna. I'd rather they paid for two years at a premium cost for Cruz, who is more likely to start feeling the effects of age over that deal.
              Nelson Cruz > Marcel Ozuna, and it's a pretty big gap.

Marcel Ozuna had a career year in a disease-shortened contract year. Other than that, and his other outlier year in 2017, Ozuna is somewhere between a 105-110 wRC+ every year. Cruz has put up a wRC+ of at least 122 every year since 2013.

If the Twins ditch Cruz for Ozuna, I'll do cartwheels.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohoney View Post

I would think that any Blake Snell package from the White Sox would need to include Andrew Vaughn, which I do not want to do.
                He's in a free agent year though, right?

Comment

Marcel Ozuna had a career year in a disease-shortened contract year. Other than that, and his other outlier year in 2017, Ozuna is somewhere between a 105-110 wRC+ every year. Cruz has put up a wRC+ of at least 122 every year since 2013.

Not gonna disagree on Ozuna, but Cruz is in his 40's. It's gonna trash to nothing at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Domeshot17 View Post

I'd just give the Cubs Rodon and Lopez. They don't have to send anything back.

Comment

Originally posted by vegandork View Post

He's in a free agent year though, right?
                      No, he's signed for 3 more years, at an extremely affordable $10.5/$12.5/$16. Would be a fantastic get, but you know that if the Sox trade with the Rays they're going to get fleeced.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

No, he's signed for 3 more years, at an extremely affordable $10.5/$12.5/$16. Would be a fantastic get, but you know that if the Sox trade with the Rays they're going to get fleeced.
                        He would be great to have, but not at the prospect cost for sure. He's only averaged 4.5 innings a start the last 2 years. It wouldn't be like getting a Cole, Bieber, deGrom, Bauer, type CY horse.

Comment

Apparently Ozuna had shoulder problems in STL that effected him and he's now healthy. There are finally signs that Cruz is showing age with his 2 MPH drop in EV in '20. I hope it all falls apart for him next year.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post

He would be great to have, but not at the prospect cost for sure. He's only averaged 4.5 innings a start the last 2 years. It wouldn't be like getting a Cole, Bieber, deGrom, Bauer, type CY horse.
                            Weren't the Rays limiting his innings because Snell was coming off Tommy John surgery?

Comment

Originally posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post

Weren't the Rays limiting his innings because Snell was coming off Tommy John surgery?
                              No, he hasn't had TJS. He had a minor procedure on his elbow in '19 where he missed a month or so.

Comment

Working...
                              X