• Show
Clear All

• Jake Burger, Gavin Sheets, Tyler Johnson added to 40-man

Link to Sun-Times story about the transactions:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-s...her-on-waivers

Originally posted by Mohoney View Post
    Link to Sun-Times story about the transactions:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-s...her-on-waivers
    Vargas’ minor league numbers through AA are respectable, but he isn’t highly ranked. Anyone have a scouting report? I’m guessing his results are better than his stuff, maybe a righthanded Kyle Kubat.

Comment

Biggest name left off the 40-man was Kincannon.

I wonder - what is the rationale of filling out the 40-man completely at this point, when we know we will need spots to open up for free agents? Sure a couple of spots will open up when Mazara and Rodon are non-tendered, but I would hope there are more than 2 FA additions coming in. A guy like Burger who would be unlikely to be selected in the Rule 5 couldn't then be dropped off the roster, because he'd have to be waived (where he would almost surely get picked up).

I suppose there are others who could be cut from the 40 man and wouldn't be missed (Ruiz, Zavala, maybe even Adolfo).

Comment

Originally posted by A. Cavatica View Post

Vargas’ minor league numbers through AA are respectable, but he isn’t highly ranked. Anyone have a scouting report? I’m guessing his results are better than his stuff, maybe a righthanded Kyle Kubat.
        FanGraphs did not include him in Arizona’s top 47 after the 2019 season, but he once looked like a prospect. Meh.

https://www.azsnakepit.com/platform/...-emilio-vargas

Comment

Burger tweeted a video of himself working in a batting cage. His swing looks incredible; the ball was exploding off his bat.

Comment

The exact moves I wanted

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

I wonder - what is the rationale of filling out the 40-man completely at this point, when we know we will need spots to open up for free agents? Sure a couple of spots will open up when Mazara and Rodon are non-tendered, but I would hope there are more than 2 FA additions coming in. A guy like Burger who would be unlikely to be selected in the Rule 5 couldn't then be dropped off the roster, because he'd have to be waived (where he would almost surely get picked up).

I suppose there are others who could be cut from the 40 man and wouldn't be missed (Ruiz, Zavala, maybe even Adolfo).
              Perhaps they really like what they've seen with Burger at Schaumburg and the Instructional League and think he could indeed plausibly get picked up and stick with a team? Just a guess. I'm surprised they protected Sheets since I don't see him being stashed on a major league roster for all of '21.

As you suggest, maybe they felt that they could afford to play it safe with the 3 guys they protected and cut someone like Ruiz or Zavala later if they need the roster space.

Comment

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
                Burger tweeted a video of himself working in a batting cage. His swing looks incredible; the ball was exploding off his bat.
                https://mobile.twitter.com/Burgatron...74815434416131

Love that sound.

If he can still hit that would be awesome though I assume he'd be limited to DH or 1B with his injury history.

Comment

Yes, they were added to protect them from the Rule 5 draft next month. And yes, after arbitration isn't offered to a few guys there will be spots. And of course, there are worse players on the 40 man to remove if we sign free agents.

I wouldn't be so sure about Burger. A team with an open 1B or DH spot might select him and see if he can win the job if they don't have good options. Especially NL teams if they end up running DH again.
                  Last edited by vegandork; 11-21-2020, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blurry View Post

https://mobile.twitter.com/Burgatron...74815434416131

Love that sound.

If he can still hit that would be awesome though I assume he'd be limited to DH or 1B with his injury history.
                    FWIW Getz was quoted this week as saying his defense at 3B looks as good as ever.

Comment

I Think this past year opened up a big new trend - you are going to see guys just coming to the majors faster I think, less minor leagues, and seeing who can compete.

Comment

FWIW Getz was quoted this week as saying his defense at 3B looks as good as ever.
                        So...still passable. I don’t recall ever seeing a scouting report that raved about his defense.

I hope we have normal baseball seasons next year. Burger at Birmingham would tell us a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Domeshot17 View Post
                          I Think this past year opened up a big new trend - you are going to see guys just coming to the majors faster I think, less minor leagues, and seeing who can compete.
                          I think that's all but a given with MLB trying to reduce minor league teams. You'll see a lot less filler players and fewer levels. Players will be thrown into the fire faster and forced to compete if they seem to have the skills to do it. AAA will still be a holding pond for close to ready players to call up, but I think we'll see players go through rookie ball at A and then go straight to AA if they can cut it. That might be a little thin but it's going to be close. Look at what the Sox did with to get players ready with just Schaumburg to train up and no live competition and just players who stand a chance to make it no filler.
                          Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Working...
                          X