La Russa's managerial style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• La Russa's managerial style

This article from the Athletic gives me some hope that La Russa really has come around on some of the social issues that the players care about:

https://theathletic.com/2172717/2020...white-sox-mlb/

For those without a subscription, well the first step would be to subscribe ($12/year - come on!). But if you still don't have access, Fegan talks with Bruce Maxwell (the first MLB player who took a knee during the anthem) and Reggie Sanders (his former player who now leads DEI efforts for the Royals). La Russa apparently reached out to both of them to get their perspective on these issues, and both had very positive things to say about his attitude.

Hopefully when the Sox players get in the clubhouse with him and meet him in person they similarly warm up to him.

Please let's keep our personal views of social justice issues out of this discussion. That's what got the last thread closed.
    Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
      Please let's keep our personal views of social justice issues out of this discussion. That's what got the last thread closed.
      Not going to comment on where I stand on any issue, but I will say that regardless of board policy this is the number one issue on whether or not he can get the team to follow him. He's been very vocal in his viewpoint in his career, and members of this team - leaders of this team - have been very vocal in their careers with a very different point of view. It's hard not to discuss TLR's chances to be successful with this team without discussing this, as whether or not he can convince the team his ideas have changed will be the determining factor in whether or not they will follow him.

Comment

La Russa on MLB network: https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/1323339214503772164 Does it bother anyone else that when asked what he likes about the Sox roster, he doesn't name a single player? He just refers to "the short stop" and "the first baseman." I'm not trying to grind an axe, but it's.... weird.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
          La Russa on MLB network: https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/1323339214503772164 Does it bother anyone else that when asked what he likes about the Sox roster, he doesn't name a single player? He just refers to "the short stop" and "the first baseman." I'm not trying to grind an axe, but it's.... weird.
          Well, he name dropped Don Cooper lol.

Comment

I've been listening to LaRussa's interviews on various outlets- personally- I'm very impressed. I think the issue of him being able to "adjust" to baseball in 2021 is being overblown- the game and the players changed alot over his 32 year career as a manager from 1979-2011 - and he continually adjusted over that span. He has not been "retired"- but playing active roles with MLB, DBacks, Red Sox and Angels up until accepting the White Sox manager role. For most of his career- he was known as an extremely progressive and innovative manager- it's interesting to see him painted as some type of "dinosaur" at this point. My majior concern at this stage that the White Sox will continue with their current coaching staff vs. using this opportunity to bring in some fresh coaching talent into the organization- other than Mennechino, and possibly McEwing - I would happily embrace a new staff- chosen by LaRussa.

Comment

Originally posted by TomBradley72 View Post
              I've been listening to LaRussa's interviews on various outlets- personally- I'm very impressed. I think the issue of him being able to "adjust" to baseball in 2021 is being overblown- the game and the players changed alot over his 32 year career as a manager from 1979-2011 - and he continually adjusted over that span. He has not been "retired"- but playing active roles with MLB, DBacks, Red Sox and Angels up until accepting the White Sox manager role. For most of his career- he was known as an extremely progressive and innovative manager- it's interesting to see him painted as some type of "dinosaur" at this point. My majior concern at this stage that the White Sox will continue with their current coaching staff vs. using this opportunity to bring in some fresh coaching talent into the organization- other than Mennechino, and possibly McEwing - I would happily embrace a new staff- chosen by LaRussa.
              Speaking of which isn't it kind of important for us to put together that coaching staff asap? I feel with most managerial hires they have their coaching staff in place almost instantly.

Comment

Originally posted by shingo10 View Post

Speaking of which isn't it kind of important for us to put together that coaching staff asap? I feel with most managerial hires they have their coaching staff in place almost instantly.
                On this weeks SoxMachine podcast, they mentioned that signs are pointing towards McEwing being retained (either as bench coach or 3B coach) and Menechino has a good chance of sticking around (as long as he meshes with TLR). For pitching coach, most of the signs point to Zaleski and/or Teaford (the Rangers have two pitching coaches, and others like Steve Stone have indicated that this might be a new trend), although I also heard some buzz around the pitching coach at Michigan (he has some time in a couple major league organizations and is well regarded).

Comment

I've been watching various MLB TV shows and all comments have been positive on the hiring of TLR. They had some glowing comments on his baseball knowledge. Of course, the real key is winning. No one we care about any TLR's style if the Sox do what we are all hoping and win, win, win.
                  The only big question raised about him that I heard was how will he hold up to all the pressures of a manager like a lot of travel for one.

Comment

On this weeks SoxMachine podcast, they mentioned that signs are pointing towards McEwing being retained (either as bench coach or 3B coach) and Menechino has a good chance of sticking around (as long as he meshes with TLR). For pitching coach, most of the signs point to Zaleski and/or Teaford (the Rangers have two pitching coaches, and others like Steve Stone have indicated that this might be a new trend), although I also heard some buzz around the pitching coach at Michigan (he has some time in a couple major league organizations and is well regarded).
                    The coaches TLR select will be key IMO. You might think one of those coaches could be the "next manager in training". I wouldn't be surprised if Tony only manages for 1 year to get into second place for all-time wins by a manager and then moves into the front office.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

The coaches TLR select will be key IMO. You might think one of those coaches could be the "next manager in training". I wouldn't be surprised if Tony only manages for 1 year to get into second place for all-time wins by a manager and then moves into the front office.
                      Don't you think all of that was agreed to before LaRussa signed on? If so then it is almost certainly McEwing. The move to the front office makes the whole scenario make sense.

Four Sox Gold Gloves in 1960.

Comment

Originally posted by FourGoldGloves View Post

Don't you think all of that was agreed to before LaRussa signed on? If so then it is almost certainly McEwing. The move to the front office makes the whole scenario make sense.
                        Absolutely, there has to be a plan for 2021 and beyond. But the pitching coach or McEwing might be the next manager.
                        Last edited by longtimefan; 11-05-2020, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Chris Fetter is his name and Hinch just hired him to be the Tigers pitching coach.

Comment

Sounds like the players are actually very open-minded and optimistic when it comes to meeting their new manager.

https://theathletic.com/2182321/2020...shared-article

Comment

Originally posted by Krs1 View Post
                              Sounds like the players are actually very open-minded and optimistic when it comes to meeting their new manager.

https://theathletic.com/2182321/2020...shared-article
                              Hopefully, TLR and the players do meet and soon. It is important to build the relation ASAP.

Comment

Working...
                              X