Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Renteria Return as Manager in 2021?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Should Renteria Return as Manager in 2021?

    If not, who else would you like to see manage next season?
    34
    Yes
    20.59%
    7
    No
    79.41%
    27

  • #2
    I'd like to see multiple candidates interviewed. The first choice I can think of that would likely be approved by The Chairman would be Sandy Alomar Jr.
    • He played for the Sox, so he's a known quantity.
    • He knows the Central Division and has worked for a successful manager.
    • He's never had a big-league job, which seems to be a checkbox for this organization.
    • He's a former catcher so I would think/hope he'd have a better grasp on handling pitchers than Renteria or Ventura have.
    • He's from Puerto Rico, so there would be no issues with language or culture in working with the young Latin players in the system.
    IIRC, the Sox wanted to interview him for the bench coach position before they hired Renteria. He turned them down because he didn't want to be considered the manager in waiting.

    I think Renteria is a likeable guy and the players seem to like him. But for me, how he managed the series against Cleveland and the A's left me with no confidence in him leading the team to the next level.
    “It's not the high price of stardom that bothers me...it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck

    "If I was going to storm a pillbox, going to sheer, utter, certain death, and the Colonel said 'Shepherd, pick six guys", I'd pick six White Sox fans because they have known death every day of their lives and it holds no terror for them." - Jean Shepherd

    Comment


    • #3
      He shouldn't have managed this season.

      This isn't a popular opinion, but I say bring Ozzie in.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by vegandork View Post
        He shouldn't have managed this season.

        This isn't a popular opinion, but I say bring Ozzie in.
        If you think my anti-managerial posts are strident now...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by A. Cavatica View Post

          If you think my anti-managerial posts are strident now...
          The odds on him being fired this off season seem minimal, so we all consider ourselves forewarned.
          Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...



          Comment


          • #6
            Yeah unfortunately I think for RR to get fired, the 2021 White Sox need to seriously underperform expectations.
            "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
            -- Thucydides

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by HomeFish View Post
              Yeah unfortunately I think for RR to get fired, the 2021 White Sox need to seriously underperform expectations.
              ...by which point they will have wasted the 2021 season.

              It would be nice to see the Sox be proactive about a problem.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by vegandork View Post
                He shouldn't have managed this season.

                This isn't a popular opinion, but I say bring Ozzie in.
                I have to disagree with this. First of all, he quit on the team before he went to his brief stay with the Marlins. Second, he's a loon and a drama lover type. Hard pass.

                Unless the chairman relents and hires him, I doubt that he ever finds a team to hire him as a manager.

                Just my opinion, but I'd like to see the Sox interview manages with a track record, whether or not they had a cup of coffee with the team.

                I do like Alomar, and he seems like he's got a good head for the game.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Should Ricky be our manager in 2021? No. Will Ricky be the manager? Yes. That is my guess. JR is not great at removing problems. And I don't think the organization wants to pay Ricky and also pay a new manager in 2021.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yes he should return, unless they want to clean house, which, of course, they do not.
                    And they wouldn't replace him with a modern manager anyway.
                    Last edited by Tragg; 10-05-2020, 09:41 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by PaleHoser View Post
                      I'd like to see multiple candidates interviewed. The first choice I can think of that would likely be approved by The Chairman would be Sandy Alomar Jr.
                      • He played for the Sox, so he's a known quantity.
                      • He knows the Central Division and has worked for a successful manager.
                      • He's never had a big-league job, which seems to be a checkbox for this organization.
                      • He's a former catcher so I would think/hope he'd have a better grasp on handling pitchers than Renteria or Ventura have.
                      • He's from Puerto Rico, so there would be no issues with language or culture in working with the young Latin players in the system.
                      IIRC, the Sox wanted to interview him for the bench coach position before they hired Renteria. He turned them down because he didn't want to be considered the manager in waiting.

                      I think Renteria is a likeable guy and the players seem to like him. But for me, how he managed the series against Cleveland and the A's left me with no confidence in him leading the team to the next level.
                      Sandy Alomar Jr will be managing in Cleveland next season.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by A. Cavatica View Post

                        ...by which point they will have wasted the 2021 season.

                        It would be nice to see the Sox be proactive about a problem.
                        Is Renteria a problem? I don't agree with all his decisions but I also think there is a huge gap between questionable decision making and being a problem. If Renteria was a problem I don't think this team would have even made the playoffs this year. There is more to managing than just in game decisions, so labeling Renteria as a problem means that he is not doing things well behind the scenes or off the field either. There doesn't seem to be any evidence that he is a problem in those areas.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm not thrilled with RR coming back, but I think things could be worse, and I don't really know who I would want to replace him. If you read any of the Cleveland boards, their hate for Alomar when he was the interim manager was at the same level as the hate for RR here. There's no Joe Maddon/Terry Francona manager with a significant history of success available as far as I know.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Let's face it. Regardless of how Sox fans may feel, there is no way Renteria is being replaced this off season. He will be managing the White Sox when the 2021 season begins.

                            I'll take a pass on Ozzie. As pointed out in a previous post, he begged out of his contract with the Chairman a few years ago and then let his mouth get him in hot water in Miami. There are reasons why he hasn't even gotten a sniff for a managerial job since then.

                            Alomar would be a solid candidate. But as also pointed out in a previous post, I believe he will be running the Indians next year based on Francona's uncertain health situation.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by fungo bat View Post
                              Let's face it. Regardless of how Sox fans may feel, there is no way Renteria is being replaced this off season. He will be managing the White Sox when the 2021 season begins.
                              This aged well.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X