MLB to host only 5 round draft in 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by voodoochile View Post

Really? I missed that part. That's not free agency...
    Yeah, they'd be ineligible to sign for anything but that 20K bonus cap.

Minor leaguers don't make that much in salary. Rookie Ball players get like $290 a week before taxes. AAA players get $500. Can't imagine a lot of the better prospects who missed the first 5 rounds are going to settle for that.

Comment

No surprise here, but the draft is going to be handled remotely.

No war rooms, only the head of baseball operations from home for each team.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...-5-rounds.html

Comment

Numerous mock drafts have the Sox selecting North Carolina State catcher, Patrick Bailey.

He’s described as being major league starting quality defensively, with good power hitting both right handed and left handed. The big question is how much he’ll strike out.

Comment

I want Garrett Crochet.

Comment

I was lucky enough to have seen the last two picks all live and in person. Garrett Mitchell is the only one realistically for us that I've seen. He's a solid prospect, but he doesn't have the same hit tool Madrigal does to make up for his lack of HRs.

Anyone want to post a scouting report on their favorite prospect?

Comment

Bailey I would be fine with. Either him or the top arm available. As the days progress, I am having less and less faith that Collins is the guy long term.

question for everyone: Would it be too risky to draft HS’ers at this point? Have a feeling that this draft will be dominated by college players. HS prospects would be crazy to sign anywhere if not drafted.

Comment

Originally posted by Krs1 View Post
                I was lucky enough to have seen the last two picks all live and in person. Garrett Mitchell is the only one realistically for us that I've seen. He's a solid prospect, but he doesn't have the same hit tool Madrigal does to make up for his lack of HRs.

Anyone want to post a scouting report on their favorite prospect?

Jared Mitchell? Sign me up.

Comment

Originally posted by A. Cavatica View Post

Jared Mitchell? Sign me up.
                  Haha

Funny enough, he is the type of spect KW would love and not that far off from Mitchell in the tools department.

Comment

Would think the compensation/competitive balance picks become more valuable next year - teams are allowed to trade the competitive balance picks. Could have an impact on the trade market & qualified free agents.

Comment

Originally posted by DeployEloy View Post
                      Bailey I would be fine with. Either him or the top arm available. As the days progress, I am having less and less faith that Collins is the guy long term.

question for everyone: Would it be too risky to draft HS’ers at this point? Have a feeling that this draft will be dominated by college players. HS prospects would be crazy to sign anywhere if not drafted.
                      The risk of HSers is absolutely higher than in years past. Senior year is where you see the radar on a more matured frame and how it holds up after the big jump year guys have as juniors to put themselves on the map.

Matt Thompson, for example, was considered one of the best arms in the class going into his senior year and stumbled a bit causing him to fall. Conversely, his teammates Goss saw his stock soar as he added some ticks and polish in that same time frame.

Comment

Law has them taking Bailey in his mock that was just released.

Says signability issues could be popping up soon with the top guys looking for bonuses of $5 million.

https://theathletic.com/1841204/2020...rojection-2-0/

Comment

Working...
                        X