Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this how you convince prospects you care about them?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is this how you convince prospects you care about them?

    Report: White Sox minor league housing at ‘bottom' of league (audacy.com)

    Good grief, Jerry.

  • #2
    It's the first year of new housing and they are working on it.
    Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...



    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
      It's the first year of new housing and they are working on it.
      I hope among the planned improvements is to no longer require players to prove they are married in order not to have to share a bedroom with another player.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
        It's the first year of new housing and they are working on it.
        Poor excuse. It seems most of the other teams were able to make it happen. They could not find nice apartments near the ballparks to rent for the players?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post

          Poor excuse. It seems most of the other teams were able to make it happen. They could not find nice apartments near the ballparks to rent for the players?
          Man, I get that it's 2022 and "the way it used to be" is no longer an excuse, but I wish I had pictures of some the ****holes guys were living in just 10 years ago. Around 2009, a couple of guys I went to college with drafted (by different clubs) ended up coming here for ST and they were both put up in what I can only describe as flop houses.

          I golfed with a White Sox prospect who was rehabbing from surgery down here about 6 years ago and the rental he shared with a couple other guys was awesome. I guess it all depends on what is available around the parks as much as anything.

          I get that privacy and all that good stuff is a major concern, but I like shared spaces and the dorm experience for these guys.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post

            Poor excuse. It seems most of the other teams were able to make it happen. They could not find nice apartments near the ballparks to rent for the players?
            The original article on The Athletic said that the White Sox were felled by construction delays and a fire, which left them in a lurch for two affiliates. It sounds like they could have done a much better job in finding alternate accommodations while those situations worked themselves out, though.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Krs1 View Post

              Man, I get that it's 2022 and "the way it used to be" is no longer an excuse, but I wish I had pictures of some the ****holes guys were living in just 10 years ago. Around 2009, a couple of guys I went to college with drafted (by different clubs) ended up coming here for ST and they were both put up in what I can only describe as flop houses.

              I golfed with a White Sox prospect who was rehabbing from surgery down here about 6 years ago and the rental he shared with a couple other guys was awesome. I guess it all depends on what is available around the parks as much as anything.

              I get that privacy and all that good stuff is a major concern, but I like shared spaces and the dorm experience for these guys.
              The point is that other teams are doing a better job. These kids are 18-22 years old, they notice and get envious.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post

                The point is that other teams are doing a better job. These kids are 18-22 years old, they notice and get envious.
                My point, from personal experience, was that I've observed the opposite in the past with my own eyes, so I don't believe it's anything beyond circumstantial. The case of the construction and fire play a part, and let's not forget the real estate situation we are in. I don't doubt a lot of the stuff said, nor do I want to speculate on the people who said it. I just think things aren't so black and white here.

                I just think the idea that we are a comparable abomination among teams is likely a very loosely based version of the truth. I stand behind the idea of shared rooms not being the worst thing for these guys. Rent is pretty out of control, right now, and perhaps the difference is that of safety and quality at the sacrifice of quantity.

                The news of crap food being provided makes me much angrier than the living situation. Not hard to put out a healthy spread every day at a nominal cost to the big club. Then again, I just spent $300 on what is 90% the same monthly trip to Costco that was costing me ~$220 the past few years.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yeah, but at least they get to run the bases, meet Southpaw, plus the other perks offered by Manfred:
                  https://www.theonion.com/rob-manfred...y-l-1849316737

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X