Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sox Prospects/Minor Leagues Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Sox Machine had an interesting write-up regarding Marco Paddy's take on Norge Vera and Yoelqui Céspedes. And a little bit on Elijah Tatis.
    https://www.soxmachine.com/2021/01/1...ational-class/

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by DeployEloy View Post

      Thanks for the update. The rules still do seem less restrictive than what I expected. Probably still a ways to go yet to keep kids arms safe. When I was the starting varsity catcher school my sr. year, I know my pitchers were capped at 75-80 per outing and pitched 2-3 times a week.
      You're welcome. Those are the guidelines that schools CANNOT exceed. They're fine to be more restrictive if they so desire.

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by blurry View Post

        Wasn't there something recently about the fact pitchers are throwing way too many pitches by the time they're drafted, leading to an uptick of injuries in their late teens and early twenties?
        Unfortunately, this is nothing new. College coaches have been under the microscope for running pitch counts in the 150+ range for their top starters.

        Comment


        • #79
          Cespedes and Vera are official today.
          "Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but those who stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only after they are ruined."
          -- Thucydides

          Comment


          • #80
            Current 2021 International signings:

            Yoelki Cespedes, of, Cuba
            Norge Vera, rhp, Cuba
            Victor Quezada, ss, Dominican Republic
            Dario Borrero, of, Venezuela
            Manuel Guariman, c, Venezuela
            Adrian Gil, rhp, Venezuela
            Gabriel Rodriguez, rhp, Venezuela

            Undoubtedly the strongest international signing class the White Sox have ever put together. Efforts like these need to become a yearly thing..,..

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by rdivaldi View Post
              Current 2021 International signings:

              Yoelki Cespedes, of, Cuba
              Norge Vera, rhp, Cuba
              Victor Quezada, ss, Dominican Republic
              Dario Borrero, of, Venezuela
              Manuel Guariman, c, Venezuela
              Adrian Gil, rhp, Venezuela
              Gabriel Rodriguez, rhp, Venezuela

              Undoubtedly the strongest international signing class the White Sox have ever put together. Efforts like these need to become a yearly thing..,..
              Unless you spend your entire $$$ for a Luis Robert type again .

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by DeployEloy View Post

                Unless you spend your entire $$$ for a Luis Robert type again .
                Ha! MLB teams can't do that any more, so it's a good thing that Hahn and Co. decided to take a final shot when the opportunity came.

                Comment


                • #83
                  https://www.soxmachine.com/2021/01/1...or-farm-depth/

                  Within the article discussing farm depth are Baseball America's updated prospect rankings. I added MLB's rankings.

                  Name (BA) (MLB)

                  Andrew Vaughn (21) (13)
                  Michael Kopech (24) (18)
                  Nick Madrigal (40) (36)
                  Garrett Crochet (74) (89)

                  Seems fair to me.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    BP's list is out now. And they have Madrigal higher than Vaughn:

                    Nick Madrigal 12
                    Andrew Vaughn 14
                    Garrett Crochet 36
                    Michael Kopech 37

                    In fact I don't think any other respected publication has been this favorable to White Sox prospects before. Take it for what it's worth; good news in my opinion.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by blurry View Post
                      BP's list is out now. And they have Madrigal higher than Vaughn:

                      Nick Madrigal 12
                      Andrew Vaughn 14
                      Garrett Crochet 36
                      Michael Kopech 37

                      In fact I don't think any other respected publication has been this favorable to White Sox prospects before. Take it for what it's worth; good news in my opinion.
                      This is in line with the national media's love for Nicky Two Strikes. I would hate to see him leave the White Sox.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post

                        This is in line with the national media's love for Nicky Two Strikes. I would hate to see him leave the White Sox.
                        I agree. They need more pests like him on this team. As for Crochet, I am surprised he is rated that highly considering many publications have him as a RP. I sure hope he can turn into a SP.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by DeployEloy View Post

                          I agree. They need more pests like him on this team. As for Crochet, I am surprised he is rated that highly considering many publications have him as a RP. I sure hope he can turn into a SP.
                          It's because as a reliever he is that highly rated. He has a pretty good chance to be one of the best relievers in the game if they keep him that way. Fegan touched on Crochet's future in his last Athletic chat and isn't sold on him ever starting. Because it's a given he's already a marquee level reliever and the chances of him succeeding as a starter are not really all that good. Why risk ruining him for something not all that likely? You have something special already.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            My comment has more to do with the fact you don’t normally see RP get that type of love on these prospects lists unless they are likely to be top flight for a hell of a long time. While I agree he is destined for the pen, could be worthwhile to see if he can expand his value. Fegan may not be wrong, but it does contradict what Sox brass had initially said about their plans with him. I know things can change, but I don’t think his career course is quite set in stone yet.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by DeployEloy View Post
                              My comment has more to do with the fact you don’t normally see RP get that type of love on these prospects lists unless they are likely to be top flight for a hell of a long time. While I agree he is destined for the pen, could be worthwhile to see if he can expand his value. Fegan may not be wrong, but it does contradict what Sox brass had initially said about their plans with him. I know things can change, but I don’t think his career course is quite set in stone yet.
                              You can probably already guess this, but I put very little stock in the public comments of Sox brass when it comes to evaluations of their own prospects. I agree that I don't think his career course is set in stone. But you're not going to rate prospects based on how you think an organization is going to use him, you rate a prospect based on how they project. Crochet is already an elite reliever that projects as a stopper as early as LAST year. He's one of the best prospects in the game because of that. Sure, superstar potential at other position weighs a lot more. That's just a testament to how sure they are about Crochet's success potential in a relief role. Make a list of best relievers in baseball. Then see where Crochet might fit. A lot of people who know what they're talking about would put him very high on that list right now. That's why his prospect rating is so high.

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by vegandork View Post

                                I'll make it a little more clear. Fox and Future Sox are fluff. They're in tune with the Sox organization so much so that they are essentially just an arm of their PR department, printing what they are told to print. Any analysis coming from Future Sox isn't analysis at all. They exist only to relay the White Sox organization's pipe dreams on things and try to pass it off as a valid perspective because no one else sees it that way.
                                Hyperbolic nonsense. While Future Sox might have some inroads with the Sox, they are most definitely not an arm of an organization. Some of the guys over there would be pretty insulted by your suggesting that is the case.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X