Keith Law Farm System Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keith Law Farm System Rankings

Has the Sox at 22. Says after the top guys that they have some high-ceiling arms, but that lack of depth (especially up the middle) is a problem.

Other teams of interest:

2. Cleveland
    8. Twins
    12. Detroit
    26. Cubs

https://theathletic.com/2375784/2021...ngs-keith-law/

Originally posted by MrX View Post
    Has the Sox at 22. Says after the top guys that they have some high-ceiling arms, but that lack of depth (especially up the middle) is a problem.

Other teams of interest:

2. Cleveland
    8. Twins
    12. Detroit
    26. Cubs

https://theathletic.com/2375784/2021...ngs-keith-law/
    The fact that the Sox have Anderson and Robert locked up and Madrigal pre-arb suggests the lack of middle infield prospect depth is not an immediate problem. However, after several years of focusing on college bats (Collins, Burger, Sheets, Madrigal, Vaughn), in addition to pitching (which is always a need), they ought to target more prep shortstops, catchers and CFs in the draft.

Comment

Tampa Bay's farm system is ridiculously stacked right now. It's shame that basically doesn't even matter considering they're a farm system for other teams at this point.

Comment

It is interesting that he ranks the Sox system as the worst in the AL Central.
        (Formerly asindc.)

"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." — George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post

The fact that the Sox have Anderson and Robert locked up and Madrigal pre-arb suggests the lack of middle infield prospect depth is not an immediate problem. However, after several years of focusing on college bats (Collins, Burger, Sheets, Madrigal, Vaughn), in addition to pitching (which is always a need), they ought to target more prep shortstops, catchers and CFs in the draft.
          I think the problem with Sox depth isn't that they need to have someone to replace Anderson, Robert or Madrigal long-term, it's more that it would be nice if they could develop someone who could adequately fill-in for a few days if one of those guys gets hurt.

The jury is still out on Madrigal and Vaughn, but even with several higher picks, the Sox haven't had much success at all in the draft in the past 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzyCyclist View Post
            It is interesting that he ranks the Sox system as the worst in the AL Central.
            Not at all. When teams are at or near the end of a rebuild, their top talent is with The Show, not the minors. I predict in two years, even with huge success at the major league level, the Sox farm system will be much better as current low-level prospects develop and the Sox acquire gems through the drafts and trades.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumpjerry View Post

Not at all. When teams are at or near the end of a rebuild, their top talent is with The Show, not the minors. I predict in two years, even with huge success at the major league level, the Sox farm system will be much better as current low-level prospects develop and the Sox acquire gems through the drafts and trades.
              Oh I understand the reasoning. I’m just a bit surprised to see Minny’s system so highly regarded. It was my general impression that they had recently taken hits with graduations.

(Formerly asindc.)

"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." — George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by JazzyCyclist View Post

Oh I understand the reasoning. I’m just a bit surprised to see Minny’s system so highly regarded. It was my general impression that they had recently taken hits with graduations.
                I would also take with a grain of Salt this year's rankings because there wasn't a substantive minor league schedule last year. There really is no way to know what each team has on the farm until they start playing games.

Comment

Originally posted by whitesox5187 View Post

I think the problem with Sox depth isn't that they need to have someone to replace Anderson, Robert or Madrigal long-term, it's more that it would be nice if they could develop someone who could adequately fill-in for a few days if one of those guys gets hurt.
                  Very good point. The reason that we're so concerned about OF depth is because the "glut" of OF prospects from a couple years ago (Basabe, Adolfo, Rutherford, Gonzalez) never developed. Signing guys like Nick Williams and Tim Beckham (on the infield) to minor league contracts is a band-aid without any long-term upside. It would also be nice if a prospect or two forced the issue and pushed themselves into the conversation when the team isn't completely relying on them (like they are with pretty much all of the recent prospect call ups).

The other thing that prospect depth does is makes it possible to swing trades. Teams are looking for young, high-ceiling players, which is exactly what the Sox system is lacking since they typically focus on college players in the draft and older (Cuban) international prospects. This is why the Padres were able to put together the offseason that they did and still have a top farm system.
                  Last edited by ChiTownTrojan; 02-10-2021, 12:21 PM.

Comment

This season will see a lot of surprising movers. Hopefully we have driven athletes who have put in the work.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post

Very good point. The reason that we're so concerned about OF depth is because the "glut" of OF prospects from a couple years ago (Basabe, Adolfo, Rutherford, Gonzalez) never developed. Signing guys like Nick Williams and Tim Beckham (on the infield) to minor league contracts is a band-aid without any long-term upside. It would also be nice if a prospect or two forced the issue and pushed themselves into the conversation when the team isn't completely relying on them (like they are with pretty much all of the recent prospect call ups).

The other thing that prospect depth does is makes it possible to swing trades. Teams are looking for young, high-ceiling players, which is exactly what the Sox system is lacking since they typically focus on college players in the draft and older (Cuban) international prospects. This is why the Padres were able to put together the offseason that they did and still have a top farm system.
                      Cespedes says Hi...
                      Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Yea, not all that surprised at the sox ranking considering it was regarded as a very top-heavy farm. A lack of a season prevented any low minors prospects from showing any smoke. A lot of these prospect rankers and scouts likely will recycle reports given the fact there is so little data suggesting to change opinion. Not 100% sure but I don't believe scouts were allowed access into taxi squad sites to evaluate. Cespedes, Kelly, Vera, etc. were added to the system to maybe boost the rankings slightly, but id imagine Crochet doesn't play into those farm projections considering no one knows for sure where he will be next year.

Comment

Originally posted by DeployEloy View Post
                          Yea, not all that surprised at the sox ranking considering it was regarded as a very top-heavy farm. A lack of a season prevented any low minors prospects from showing any smoke. A lot of these prospect rankers and scouts likely will recycle reports given the fact there is so little data suggesting to change opinion. Not 100% sure but I don't believe scouts were allowed access into taxi squad sites to evaluate. Cespedes, Kelly, Vera, etc. were added to the system to maybe boost the rankings slightly, but id imagine Crochet doesn't play into those farm projections considering no one knows for sure where he will be next year.
                          The Sox have quite a bit of room to move up as they have the guys you mentioned (Cespedes, Vera) plus some guys coming off injury that could make a big splash, most notably Burger. I'm still crossing my fingers and toes that they land Colas, he'd be another big get.

Comment

Of course, I feel it is possible they can cover a ton of ground, but I’d expect that more reflective in the mid season rankings. Not a whole lot to go off of at this point. I think the Colas thing is inevitable too. I’d imagine the Sox will throw $$$ at him come next signing period. Being buddies with Robert also helps.

Comment

Originally posted by DeployEloy View Post
                              Of course, I feel it is possible they can cover a ton of ground, but I’d expect that more reflective in the mid season rankings. Not a whole lot to go off of at this point. I think the Colas thing is inevitable too. I’d imagine the Sox will throw $$$ at him come next signing period. Being buddies with Robert also helps.
                              I agree. I can hardly wait until the minor league season starts, 2020 was such a huge disappointment. I love it when the White Sox are the front runners for international players, they need to stockpile as many high ceiling guys as they can get. Drafting in the 20s is rough.

Comment

Working...
                              X