2020-21 International Signing Period

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020-21 International Signing Period

A "preview" from James Fox on the upcoming signing period (begins Jan 15). Preview in quotes because all the deals are pretty much done, just not made official yet.

https://www.futuresox.com/2020/12/29...gning-preview/

tl;dr - the Sox are expected to sign the top position player (Cespedes) and top pitcher (Vera) this year per MLBpipeline's rankings, and they are the favorites to land the #2 position player (Colas) but not until a year from now.

Luis Robert apparently called Colas a future White Sox player on his social media, then Colas himself reposted it. I heard rumors he was jumping in with Abreu in helping recruit more talent but looks like it's actually happening. At this point I'd be surprised if Colas doesn't come here; even FG is projecting him to come here: https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/...rt=-1,1&type=0

Comment

Originally posted by blurry View Post
      Luis Robert apparently called Colas a future White Sox player on his social media, then Colas himself reposted it. I heard rumors he was jumping in with Abreu in helping recruit more talent but looks like it's actually happening. At this point I'd be surprised if Colas doesn't come here; even FG is projecting him to come here: https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/...rt=-1,1&type=0
      I assume the Sox would slot him into RF> He's put up real solid numbers against players 5+ years older than him. What's the projection on how soon would he be ready to ;play at MLB level?
      Riding Shotgun on the Sox Bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Comment

Originally posted by voodoochile View Post

I assume the Sox would slot him into RF> He's put up real solid numbers against players 5+ years older than him. What's the projection on how soon would he be ready to ;play at MLB level?
        From what I've read: 2022 as a one-way option (hitting/fielding), 2023 as a two-way option (add pitching)

Comment

Originally posted by blurry View Post

From what I've read: 2022 as a one-way option (hitting/fielding), 2023 as a two-way option (add pitching)
          That seems optimistic for Colas, especially if he isn’t signed until Jan 2022. Also, his pitching is not likely to ever be major league caliber per scouts - his calling card is his power bat. Ben Badler from BA thinks he might end up as a 1B/DH type, but he says he has the bat for that role.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
            Ben Badler from BA thinks he might end up as a 1B/DH type, but he says he has the bat for that role.
            The Sox aren't exactly hurting for 1B/DH types.

Comment

Originally posted by Nellie Fox View Post
              The Sox aren't exactly hurting for 1B/DH types.
              I’m sure the hope is that he can stick in a corner OF spot (he also has experience at 3B but apparently isn’t great there). Also by 2023 Abreu’s contract will be up.

Comment

That seems optimistic for Colas, especially if he isn’t signed until Jan 2022. Also, his pitching is not likely to ever be major league caliber per scouts - his calling card is his power bat. Ben Badler from BA thinks he might end up as a 1B/DH type, but he says he has the bat for that role.
                Here’s what James Fox wrote:

The 22-year-old has 60 grades for his power and throwing arm with 55 grades on his hit, field and run tools.
                A grade of 55 on field and run, and 60 on arm, don’t scream “1B/DH type” to me. I think what those are who have scouted him are saying is that while he’s been playing 3B and pitching in Cuba, he’ll likely play an OF corner, but with a bat good enough for 1B/DH. If he does sign with the Sox, and then develops, he could fill the Sox RF hole long term.

Comment

Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post

Here’s what James Fox wrote:

A grade of 55 on field and run, and 60 on arm, don’t scream “1B/DH type” to me. I think what those are who have scouted him are saying is that while he’s been playing 3B and pitching in Cuba, he’ll likely play an OF corner, but with a bat good enough for 1B/DH. If he does sign with the Sox, and then develops, he could fill the Sox RF hole long term.
                  Regardless of the grades, on Garfein’s podcast this week Badler said that Colas will start in the OF but might end up at 1B/DH. I was surprised by that (so was Garfein for that matter), but he was very clear. He did say that he has a great arm.

Comment

Regardless of the grades, on Garfein’s podcast this week Badler said that Colas will start in the OF but might end up at 1B/DH. I was surprised by that (so was Garfein for that matter), but he was very clear. He did say that he has a great arm.
                    I also thought I read that may have more to do with body size/type. That may not be a problem if he keeps working out with Robert . If they sign him, they will give the kid every chance to stick in the OF if he’s athletic enough, otherwise he’s more of a tradable asset than anything. Really doubt he pitches, but you never know. It would be interesting if they treated him as an OF and Reliever combo instead of OF/SP combo.

Comment

As much as I love the Sox grabbing all of the big Cuban names, they really need to step up and do a better job in the Dominican, Venezuela, etc. In the past 10 years only Yolmer and the guy we traded for James Shields have made any sort of contribution at the major league level. Looking at 2021, there is no one all that close to the major league roster as well. Without the benefit of top 5 draft picks for the foreseeable future, the Latin operations need to step up or the window will close quicker than it should.

Comment

Originally posted by rdivaldi View Post
                        As much as I love the Sox grabbing all of the big Cuban names, they really need to step up and do a better job in the Dominican, Venezuela, etc. In the past 10 years only Yolmer and the guy we traded for James Shields have made any sort of contribution at the major league level. Looking at 2021, there is no one all that close to the major league roster as well. Without the benefit of top 5 draft picks for the foreseeable future, the Latin operations need to step up or the window will close quicker than it should.
                        Agreed. The big difference between Cuba and other countries (which I'm sure you know, this is more for others) is that Cuban prospects are almost always older. The best kids out of Venezuela and the DR are signing at 16-17 years old, and the Sox are missing out on this young pipeline of talent. This does kind of seem like it fits the front office philosophy - don't pay teenagers, don't pay high school kids, go for the more "sure thing" with college kids in the draft. Hopefully this is starting to change, and they realize that scoring big on some of these young kids has a huge payoff.

Comment

Agreed. The big difference between Cuba and other countries (which I'm sure you know, this is more for others) is that Cuban prospects are almost always older. The best kids out of Venezuela and the DR are signing at 16-17 years old, and the Sox are missing out on this young pipeline of talent. This does kind of seem like it fits the front office philosophy - don't pay teenagers, don't pay high school kids, go for the more "sure thing" with college kids in the draft. Hopefully this is starting to change, and they realize that scoring big on some of these young kids has a huge payoff.
                          Well, they are signing youngsters out of DR, etc. but they are usually not top talent. Occasionally those kinds of players pan out, but that kind of luck cannot be counted on to sustain your Latin operations. I liked that they were aggressive in signing Micker (even though I doubt he will pan out), they just need to keep at it and not shy away because of past mistakes.

Comment

Happy International Signing Day. Haven't seen anyone officially sign yet for the Sox.

Comment

Originally posted by DeployEloy View Post
                              Happy International Signing Day. Haven't seen anyone officially sign yet for the Sox.
                              A bunch of them are now official, including Cespedes and Vera. Eric Longenhagen updated his top 32 White Sox prospects list with those two, and it looks like he's not a big fan of either one. Vera checks in at #14, and Cespedes all the way down to #25.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/top-34-p...ago-white-sox/

It seems that there is a lot of variability in how much people like Cespedes in particular. I guess that's to be expected considering nobody has seen him play in over a year.

Comment

Working...
                              X